Sacred Heart of Mary School in the city of Ubá was the first to be opened in Brazil on June 23, 1911, through the work of a group of RSHM sisters from the Portugese Province led by Sisters Maria de Aquino, Santa Fe and Maria de Assis.
Currently, the school has almost 700 students from kindergarten to high school. In addition thanks to generous donations, the school also offer free pre-college and technical courses related to care of the environment. The school is one of the 200 best in the country in the National Examination of Secondary Education (ENEM), according to the ranking of the Ministry of Education (2015). It is also considered the best school in the city of Ubá, ranking 29th in the state of Minas Gerais.
Jane Santos Rosignoli, the current headmistress of the school, values the search for even better results, as well as the maintenance of human formation through groups of young people like FORMIGA – ‘Forming a Missionary Network with Gailhac ‘– and VAGALUME – ‘See, Act With Gailhac, Fight, Change, Hope’. Through these, the school develops voluntary work with philanthropic institutions and socially vulnerable families.