In 1927, Sister Baptist Holohan, a member of the General Council of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, went to Brazil to visit the schools founded in Ubá, located in the state of Minas Gerais (MG), and Rio Janeiro (RJ). During that visit she was urged to open a school in Belo Horizonte, the capital of MG. So, on January 21, 1928, Sacred Heart of Mary School was founded in Belo Horizonte during the celebration of a Mass. At that time, the school was operating at its provisional address, at Timbiras Street, 1491. But in 1930, it was transferred to a building located at Professor Estêvão Pinto Street, 400, in the Serra district, where, it continues to this day.
Currently, the school has a differentiated infrastructure, registered since 1992 by the Heritage Council of Belo Horizonte, recognizing its architectural significance and offering an important space in which to remember the history of education in the capital of Minas Gerais. In recent years, some areas of the school have been, redesigned, such as the courtyard and the school playground. These designs combine tradition and modernity.
Since its foundation, Sacred Heart of Mary School stands out among the most traditional in Belo Horizonte by providing a basic comprehensive education – with a focus on academic excellence and human development – for hundreds of children and adolescents from Early Childhood Education to High School, in addition to Youth and Adult Education.
The current headmaster is Professor Fernando França Monteiro de Barros.